Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Eve fever

http://www.flickr.com/people/35614822@N08

Every year when the end of the year is close enough I can observe collective madness or mental illness. Every one have to go somewhere to celebrate New Year's Eve, get completely drunk and have terrible hangover. Situation looks similar probably all over the world. As I know only the Fare East (especially Buddhists) celebrates beginning of New Year in different, gentler way.
I, as majority, used to behave exactly same as a rest of the world: I planed how I spend this time a few months before 1st January, I did all the preparation, bought alcohol (more than I could consume),  finally I got drunk and suffer hangover all next day (or two).
This year was completely different. I made all the preparation and shopping two days before 'day of doom'. I was invited by my friends, there was a plan to drink all the alcohol, dance, watch  the fireworks and suffer the next day. After all the preparations I stand up Friday morning and asked myself one, very important question: 'why?' Why I have to be one of the stars in this big circus? You can not imagine how was the astonishment when I declared that I am staying home. And do you know what? It was the best New Year Eave in my life. I spent it with my girlfriend, a bottle of wine and 'Bad Santa' movie. By the way, a thousands thanks to her, because she supported me in my operation.

www.filmweb.pl
This story is excellent entry to write a few words about term known as a comfort zone. Following Wikipedia comfort zone is 'a behavioural state within which a person operates in an anxiety-neutral condition, using a limited set of behaviours to deliver a steady level of performance, usually without a sense of risk'. How big is my comfort zone? At the moment not so big. I have no problem with asking a random question to passer by, but if you asked me to resign from my current job, go to some tropical country for a two year journey, I would definitely refuse. Now, after eight years of full-time work I fell limited by my comfort zone. It is probably first step on a way to make it wider. How? By exercises like experiment with the New Year Eve described above.
Our comfort zone is created not only by ourselves. In my opinion is a kind of legacy of our parents, teachers, neighbors. When I was younger it was thought to me that studying is a careless time in life which could never been repeated. It was thought by my parents, grandparents, neighbor, even Dean of my faculty during graduation ceremony. Is it really so? Were they right? Not far before I would agree, but know I know that depend on my own. How hard I will be working on myself? How bereave will I be to follow my dreams?
Now the New Year starts it is good occasion to clear an account and start from beginning. I am not a fan of New Year's resolutions but it is coincident that I started this blog at the and of last year.

All the best in New Year! Work less, earn more and be really, really happy in your life!                          

No comments:

Post a Comment